Posted September 01, 2019 09:14:53The Australian Post is a major part of the country’s post office network, but that has not stopped it from shooting off hundreds of millions of dollars worth of bullets.
The Post is currently in the middle of an internal investigation into the shooting, but a spokeswoman told ABC Radio on Thursday that the “very limited amount of ammunition” was not enough to “solve the question”.
“The vast majority of the ammunition used in this incident has been purchased online or through the Post’s own purchase,” the spokeswoman said.
“It is a small number of rounds which will not have an impact on any postal employees or their families.”
“We are not aware of any injuries or fatalities and are in the process of assessing the situation.”
“In response to your question, we can confirm that a small amount of bullets have been used in the shooting incident at the Post,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson declined to comment on the “limited amount of ammo” that was fired.
Earlier this week, the ABC revealed that the Post had fired a “massive” amount of rounds in an effort to “stop” a possible “attack” by the Islamic State group (IS) in its stronghold in Syria.
The AFP and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have also been called in to assist in the investigation.
A Post spokesman told the ABC that “we are not in a position to confirm or deny whether the ammunition has been used or not”.
He said the bullets were purchased online, which “did not involve any purchase of a Postcard or Courier”.
The spokesperson also declined to say whether the bullets “may have been purchased from a supplier in the US, the UK or another country”.
He also declined further comment on whether any members of the public had been injured or killed in the “shooting incident”.
Topics:government-and-politics,military-forces,military,military—army,australia,united-statesFirst posted September 02, 2019 14:48:50More stories from New South Wales